The Satellite Applications Catapult provides a unique innovation environment for the UK satellite applications sector, with the bold and ambitious mission: “To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites”.
Over the last four years, this vision has become a reality and companies that we are working with are growing as a result of our activities, which in turn will help the UK space industry reach its target of 10% of the global space market by 2030.
Over the last four years we have:
- Carried out over 140 collaborative and commercial projects. These have involved 94 UK companies, including 47 SMEs and 29 non-space companies, along with 25 universities.
- Worked with 17 businesses that have gone on to raise over £24.2 million of equity capital.
- Held 128 workshops, engaged with over 3,500 organisations.
- Our facilities, such as our CEMS cloud processing service, satcomms lab, operations centre, hot desking and Far Field Antenna Test Range, have been used by 169 businesses, including 86 SMEs.
- Opened five regional Centres of Excellence across the UK to extend our reach and encourage development of space activity in the regions: Scotland, East Midlands, North East, South Coast and South West.
- Increased the amount of funding available for satellite related companies, by being instrumental in the creation of the £50 million Seraphim Fund and supporting Satellite Finance Network activities.
- Helped the Harwell Space Cluster grow to 75 space related organisations employing over 750 staff from about five organisations when we launched.
- Worked on 38 international projects with partners from 22 countries.
- For every £1 of core grant invested, we have enabled £6 of investment and linked activity.
Here are a few examples of where the Catapult has helped with the growth of their business: