1.Catapult Threads: Over the next few months we are rolling out our Threads. Within our programmes we are exploring new concepts at a high level to find areas of opportunity for the satellite and user communities. To create a thread we must demonstrate Impact, Outcome and Activities.
Our initial Threads include:
- Satellite Enabled Cities – Dan Wicks
- Sustainable Fisheries – Dan Watson
- Environmental Monitoring for the Extractive Industries – Estel Blay
- Satellites for Emerging Markets – Eva Greco
- Agritech – Mark Jarman
- Smart Analytics – Adrien Muller
More information on our Threads will be published in February 2017.
2. Competitions Update: UK companies and universities have achieved fantastic results in Europe’s biggest space technology innovation competitions. Out of over 500 entries, from 17 countries, five UK finalists came home with an award, as well as the top prize of €10,000 to invest in their technology.
- University of Strathclyde, Overall Winner, European Satellite Navigation Competition (ESNC) – A ‘silent lookout’ system that uses low-cost sensors and satellite navigation technology for the early detection of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), addressing growing concerns over public safety, security and privacy.
- EnviroSAR, Winner, Copernicus Masters Sustainable Living Challenge – The EnviroSAR service will help to understand patterns of UK wildfires, target land management, peat restoration, reseeding and reduce water discolouration and its associated costs.
- Blubel – Winner, European Space Agency Space Solutions® Prize – Blubel is a smart navigation device that can intuitively guide cyclists, using a mix of sounds and lights along the cycle-friendly routes.
- eOsphere, Dominic Flach – eosphere.co.uk
- Riverbeck, Rob Sneddon – riverback.com
- Ian Downey, ESA – Click to view Ian’s updates
- Data.Space 2017 Conference, 1-2 February, Glasgow – www.dataspace.xyz – Ticket discount code: CATAPULT
- GHA Associates, Phil Cross – ghassociatesuk.com
- Maths for Planet Earth, 19th January – https://sa.catapult.org.uk/news-events-gallery/events/mathematics-planet-earth-centre-doctoral-training-meet-satellite-sector/
Satuccino: Extra Shot – East Midlands
- Innovate UK, Catherine Holt
- Sterling GEO, Kumar Pancholi www.sterlinggeo.com
- EarthSense Systems, Roland Leigh www.earthsense.co.uk
New Funding Calls
- Transport Technology Research Grant (T-TRIG) The scheme funds research into a wide-range of novel and innovative solutions that use science, engineering and technology to advance the UK’s transport system. https://www.dft.gov.uk/innovation-grants/innovation-grants/t-trig/
- Design Foundations: Funding for early-stage design Design Foundations is a new £3m grant funding programme from Innovate UK to help businesses identify innovation opportunities and generate better propositions for desirable, useful and feasible products, services and business models. https://www.ktn-uk.co.uk/events/design-foundations-funding-for-early-stage-design-launch-event