Collaborate SAR Solutions – Australia
The Satellite Applications Catapult is currently engaged in an International Partnership Space Programme (IPSP) project with partners in Australia, focused on developing a collaborative framework for UK/Australian research rooted in Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) exploitation and application development. Included within this work is the exploration of supporting technologies that best enable exploitation of SAR datasets for this end, for example building on work already done in Australia around the ‘Data Cube’ concept. It is the ambition of the project that by establishing this framework it will enable the UK and Australia to collaboratively look at domestic markets in Australia and outwardly towards markets such as Asia for the delivery of new commercial opportunities. As part of the project the Catapult wishes to showcase the development of this framework and ensure its long term success by establishing a number of demonstrator projects focused on the following domain areas:
- A potentially suitable UK commercial and academic collaborator are sought to work alongside the Satellite Applications Catapult, CSIRO and members of the Australian sugarcane industry to develop globally robust methods of assessing age, biomass and yield of the crop through its growing cycle using multi-wavelength SAR data. It is the ambition to collaboratively develop services that can be sold into the sugarcane industry, agriculture insurance and bioenergy sectors.
- A potentially suitable UK commercial and academic collaborator are sought to work alongside the Satellite Applications Catapult and CRC-SI to develop a sustainable service for forestry, for example a sustainable National Forest Monitoring System (NFMS) that holds potential value to REDD+ applications and companies providing forest management services; i.e. commodity trading, forestry insurance, and forest inventorying. This work would be based upon development by Australia partners to realise a robust, internationally comparable approach for producing a variety of forestry products derived from a combination of SAR data stack and mosaic.
- Water resource monitoring
- A potentially suitable UK commercial and academic collaborator are sought to work alongside the Satellite Applications Catapult and Geoscience Australia to develop a radar based surface water identification tool, focused on understanding available water resources and water usage. This tool is to aid observation frequency and to compliment the current WoFS data product developed by Geoscience Australia, a dataset derived from 28 years of Landsat data time-series analysis that depicts the frequency of occurrence of surface water across Australia (Water Observations from Space (WoFS): www.ga.gov.au/wofs). A limitation of the dataset derives from the inability to observe the Earth’s surface through clouds which can be mitigated through analysis of available SAR data.
Respond to this Opportunity
If engagement in this opportunity and the long term development of this programme is of interest please respond via our Respond to an Opportunity page, and please upload a single A4 page addressing your organisations relevance in the following areas:
- Technical expertise in the above areas
- Market experience
- Willingness to invest into such a collaborative initiative
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please email: IdeasandOpportunities@sa.catapult.org.uk