Business Manager – Transport
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Chief Innovation Officer
Working Hours: Full time
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results.
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture.
Satellite Applications Catapult Business Managers support the Chief Innovation Officer in the planning and delivery of programmes of activities to engage targeted market sectors. The objective is to promote the uptake of space-derived data and services in these sectors, and to identify areas needing Catapult engagement to facilitate demonstrable growth in the sector. The initial programme of work to be managed is Intelligent Transport Systems; the successful candidate will subsequently move on to manage additional and/or different themed programmes.
Main Responsibilities and Activities
We are looking for a Business Manager who is passionate about creating and driving engagement strategies and programmes in order to grow the uptake of space-derived data and services. Reporting to the Chief Innovation Officer, responsibilities include working closely with a cross-catapult team to define the programme and deliver the resultant strategy. This team includes Domain Experts, Marketing, Technical Heads and Business Innovation Managers.
This position will include responsibility for defining the business model and strategy for existing and new projects within a Business Area. The role is externally focused to ensure the marketplace is appraised of the Catapult’s objectives and that the programmes are positioned correctly to deliver success.
- Business management of a £2-£5 million part of the business and responsibility for delivery of a Catapult programme of work
- Understand customer needs to ensure the programme and services meet those needs and engage intimately with customers on an ongoing basis
- Engage and co-operate with appropriate individuals in aligned organisations such as the UK Space Agency and European Space Agency to understand opportunities for collaborative funding
- Be the single point of contact for customers, project managers, domain experts, business development teams and marketing for matters relating to the programme. Provide direction and support to members of the extended team.
- Work closely with Finance and Operations to ensure programmes deliver a clear ROI
- Develop and deliver the strategy and position the Catapult programme to ensure it provides a solid value proposition for our target customers
- Define the programme and the subsequent delivery of it through the Catapult team
- Generate external income for Catapult projects supported by the business development team.
- A knowledge or willingness to learn the capabilities of the Space sector to the level of expertise expected from a member of the Satellite Applications Catapult
- Work closely with Space sector suppliers, trade sector bodies and academia to develop the programme underpinned by solid business cases
- Demonstrate an aptitude for working collaboratively, hosting multi-disciplinary workshops and developing ideas in an innovation environment
- Attend trade shows and conferences to support launches, promote the Catapult through speaking opportunities and gather competitive information
- Have responsibility for the customer view of programme-related projects and ensure they are on schedule and aligned with customer needs
- Lead through competence and command of the subject matter and be happy to present to large audiences on programme matters
- Have a working knowledge of the commercialisation of R&D
- Establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with external customers and all work colleagues to ensure an integrated contribution to Catapult aims and objectives
- Observe and comply with Catapult policies and procedures for Health and Safety at work and observe and continually promote equal opportunities and customer care in compliance with Catapults aims and objectives
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in line with the level of responsibility of the post and in order to meet the changing needs of the Company
Other duties dependent on the needs of the business which will require the attendance of events on and off site.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience in carrying out market research/analysis and selling solutions
- Stakeholder Management knowledge/experience
- Significant and demonstrable experience of working collaboratively and driving a programme of work forward. Business managers need to be proactive and action-oriented.
- Ability to work independently whilst drawing on the skills of other Catapult employees to drive the programme forward.
- Commercially aware with proven negotiation skills.
- Experience of differing market sectors would be an advantage.
- First class presentation skills.
- Interpretation and evaluation of information from a range of sources.
- Ability to influence key decision makers and to challenge when necessary.
- Ability to build relationships, coach and influence at all levels and deliver passion from the team to deliver the best results.
- Ability to exercise effective judgment, discretion, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
- A passion for identifying challenges and exploring the art of the possible.
- Educated to degree level.
- An understanding of the maritime or transport markets would be desirable but not essential.
- An understanding of satellite or space technology would be desirable but not essential. A passion for the industry and an interest in learning is more important.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.