Head of Marketing and Communications
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Chief Strategy Officer
Responsible for: Team of four
Working Hours: 37.5h a week
Contract: Permenant, 3 month probation and 1 month notice.
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Applications Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten “Catapults” launched by the UK’s Technology Strategy Board. The aim for each of them is to become a world-leading innovation centre in its own specialist area.
“To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites”
‘’To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results.”
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun
As Head of Marketing and Communications, you will be an integral part of the organisation, so the ability to build strong relationships internally and externally is essential.
You will take a strategic lead and manage the marketing and communications functions across the Catapult. Your key responsibilities will include creating and implementing the marketing and communications strategy including social media, managing campaigns and media relations, stakeholder engagement, brand development and overseeing a busy events programme to deliver impact.
This is a hugely diverse role managing a communications department that undertakes both corporate and market-facing programmes across a breadth of industry sectors.
You will enable the organisation to amplify the impact of its work, voice and brand, and to promote its services and facilities to help grow the sector.
Driving the Catapult’s Marketing & Communications Strategy
- Create, develop and implement the delivery of the Marketing and Communications Strategy to meet the aims and ambitions of the Catapult Delivery Plan and Strategy.
- Develop and manage creative marketing initiatives in support of the Catapult’s Major Projects, Programmes and Threads (activities focused on key markets).
- Ensure the Catapult’s impact is effectively communicated to stakeholders across Government, industry and academia.
- Responsible for the Catapult’s media relations including thought leadership positioning, raising awareness of our achievements and the potential of satellite applications to engage new users.
- Oversee press office activity including press release generation, handling media requests and requests for content and spokespeople from key stakeholders e.g. the UK Space Agency, Innovate UK, Harwell Campus and the European Space Agency.
- Responsible for briefing and preparing Catapult spokespeople.
- Responsible for the Catapult’s social media strategy across the breadth of channels including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube working with the Digital Communications Executive.
- Responsible for the design and development of the Catapult website and a number of project related websites.
- Supporting the Catapult’s Marketing Manager and Marketing Executive to deliver an extensive Events programme that includes conferences, exhibitions and networking events in the UK and internationally. This includes input on stand design and programme content.
- Identify and shape workshop content with the business development team across our core Programmes.
- Find speaking opportunities for Catapult personnel and support presentation development.
- Build external relationships with other space related bodies, eg , UK Space Agency, ESA, Space Growth Partnership, UKspace, Satellite Finance Network, developing joint activities and communications to benefit the visibility and credibility of the Catapult.
- Representing the Satellite Applications Catapult at cross-Catapult communications initiatives.
Brand Promotion & Positioning
- In line with the Catapult’s branding guidelines and protocols, develop marketing materials for campaigns and programmes, services and facilities as part of integrated communications plans to deliver against both long term strategic and shorter term tactical objectives.
- Protect the use of the Catapult brand in all forms of communication internally and externally.
- Ensure consistency of the Catapult’s brand is maintained from across the company and assure consistency of image and position to both the internal and external communities.
- Responsible for the coordination of all internal communications ensuring that there is a constant flow of information across the Catapult.
- Overall responsibility of the Catapult intranet making sure all company information is accessible and up to date.
- Responsible for the marketing and communications budget across the Catapult including funding obtained from third parties throughout the year for new projects and initiatives
- Develop and maintain annual marketing budget to support the Catapults activities in line with the projects, programmes and initiatives.
- Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Executive Management Team
- Develop and monitor systems and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the marketing and communications function.
Team Development & Reporting
- Direct reports: Communications & Competitions Manager, Marketing Manager, Digital Communications Executive and Marketing Executive.
We are looking for an experienced and creative Head of Marketing & Communications to have full responsibility for the strategy, enabling continued growth and impact.
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable skills, knowledge and experience in the development and execution of marketing communications and public relations strategies.
- Demonstrable experience in implementing successful, integrated marketing and communications campaigns.
- Ability to understand complex information and translate it into market leading communications strategies.
- Ability to influence key decision makers and to challenge when necessary.
- Very strong ability to write and edit engaging content embodying the key messages.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, films, animations and websites.
- Ability to mutli-task and adapt to a dynamic and growing space sector and to differing needs of Programme market sectors.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.