Head of Domain – Applied Digital Intelligence (ADI)
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Head of Domains
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
- Manage, develop and nurture the ADI domain and domain members.
- Establish a long term vision for the exploitation of current and future Satellite Earth Observation infrastructure and technologies, and define and drive a strategic roadmap.
- Establish effective strategic relationships with satellite earth observation service providers, and satellite and sensor manufacturers and obtain access to facilities and services for the Catapult purpose
- Establish and developing relationships with key stakeholders such as ESA, TSB and UKSA, and ensuring effective working relationships with such organisations.
- Secure contributory funding for collaborative and strategic projects, and secure contract research work for the Catapult.
- Ensure that the ADI Domain provides effective support to the business by:
- Undertaking Solutions Workshops with the aim of defining, initiating and delivering Catalytic projects in support of Catapult objectives.
- Supporting the engagement with potential end-users to define user requirements and use-cases, and to identify potential solutions, business models and sustainable business cases, and partnerships involving satellite earth observation service providers
- Coordinating and engaging in brainstorming sessions and working groups for the purpose of driving towards customer solutions and creating partnerships that will work together collaboratively and effectively.
- Support SMEs and other industrial partnership design, development, testing, deployment and trials of applications, and in preparing these for operational use
- Work with the other domains or groups to identify synergies with other space technologies and capabilities.
- Create a strong centre of excellence in the domain such that it undertakes to effectively:
- Undertake design and specification work and deliver to a high standard
- Deliver applications to both prototype and pre-operational standards
- Engage with government departments and other regulatory and institutional bodies to address regulatory and procurement barriers
- Be an interface between R&D/Innovation in academic institutions and industrial organisations, liaise with relevant internal catapult departments when engaging with academic institutes
- Deliver technical reports and solutions that are fit for purpose and delivered on time
- Participate as a proactive member of the Domain Management Team, to enable effective prioritization of activities against Catapult objectives
- Flow down & implement management objectives, communications & instructions to staff in a timely and effective manner.
- Line manage the ADI team ensuring 6 weekly reviews take place, development needs are supported and work carried out is relevant to business objectives and needs.
- Actively identify manage and resolve any potential issue, risk or conflict, as appropriate, within the innovation context.
Required Skills and Experience
- Effective leader and collaborator with excellent interpersonal, communications and presentation skills, team worker and self-starter and motivator.
- Domain specific experience and proven ability to deliver successful products, services and solutions
- Knowledge of all aspects of satellite earth observation systems and terrestrial-based sensor technologies and networks ( current and future technology)
- Strong links with satellite earth observation service providers, and system integrators and application developers
- Demonstrable work experience within a hi-tech business environment
- Desired experience
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff, executive management and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and management skills
- A proven ability to establish and maintain strategic and collaborative relationships with industry and academia.
- Aptitude for open and collaborative working, and establishing such a culture in a startup context
- Experience with an SME or in a start-up is an distinct advantage.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.