Head of Future Business
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Chief Innovation Officer
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
Reporting to the Chief Innovation Officer, the Head of Future Business will be directly responsible for new business development with commercial customers. Catapult has a number of people in market facing/business development roles and the Head of Future Business will coordinate with these, taking overall ownership of Sales Pipeline and Bid success rates. The role involves providing BD support and mentoring in key strategic areas and key overseas markets. The ideal candidate will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing a sales strategy to achieve sales goals in line with the Catapult’s ethos.
Main Responsibilities and Activities
The successful candidate will, working with a Bid Manager and Sales/Bids coordinator will:
- Undertake market assessment and engagements to understand the opportunities for Catapult interventions in the commercial sector.
- Understand and advise on the overall strategic direction of the Catapult’s products and services for commercial customers.
- Develop business plans, budgets and forecasts to achieve agreed annual revenue and profit targets.
- Broaden and deepen existing commercial customer relationships to build long-term profitable partnerships.
- Develop areas for licensing products and services.
- Develop and execute strategies for lead generation, sales, pricing and all other matters related to revenue generation in the commercial sector.
- Personally pursue and close key sales opportunities and manage the sales process.
- Lead internal teams from multiple disciplines to pursue key prospects, providing support and mentoring to Catapult staff managing key strategic areas.
- Provide management information on pipeline development.
- Oversee the dedicated bid team and assure the quality of the bid process.
- Build a professional and trusting relationship with all clients.
- Assist in the development of the Catapult’s international strategy and take ownership of key geographies.
- Any other duties dependent on the needs of the business which may occasionally require the attendance of events off-site.
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills, combined with a real eye for detail.
- Business development experience of bespoke solutions – the ability to deliver appropriate solutions to customer needs.
- Previous experience of business development with evidence of enhanced performance through growth and profitability.
- Strong leadership and management capability – the ability to motivate, develop and retain a high performing team.
- Strong commercial acumen – experience in preparing business plans, forecasts and executing strategy.
- Highly numerate with good problem solving skills.
- High impact, a fluent presenter with an engaging and compelling style.
- A fascination with data and how it can be used to inform decision making.
- Self-motivated with a high energy level.
- Committed, hardworking, passionate and a creative thinker.
- An acknowledged influencer, with strong sales and negotiating skills.
- High level oral and written communication skills, including a proven ability for public speaking.
- Dynamic approach adapting to changing requirements, understanding self-development needs.
- Experience in working with senior management to align sales strategies and solutions
- Ability to influence key decision makers and to challenge when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and use own initiative.
- Ability to build relationships, coach and influence at all levels.
- Ability to exercise effective judgement, discretion, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
- Demonstrate a commercial approach.
- Ability to think “outside the box” to create pragmatic solutions.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.