Head of Marketing & Communications
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: TBC
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
Development of Marketing & Communication Engagement Strategy
- Create, develop and implement the delivery of the marketing strategy to meet the aim and ambitions of the Catapult Delivery Plan and Strategy.
- Develop and manage creative marketing initiatives in support of the Catapult’s wide range of activities.
- Continuously develop and evolve key marketing policies and processes in order to optimise engagement with targeted communities.
- Plan, co-ordinate and review the work of the department to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing and communications activities, goals and financial objectives.
- Develop and maintain annual marketing budget to support the Catapults activities in line with the projects, programmes and initiatives.
- Approve all marketing spend, in line with the budget allocation for campaigns and activities.
- Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the CEO/COO.
- Develop and monitor systems and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the marketing and communications function.
Management of Staff
- Responsible for the effective management of the marketing team, including contractors, providing provision of work and career succession.
- Provide ongoing support and guidance on activities, giving team members the opportunity to use their own initiatives and ideas.
- Conduct six weekly reviews with each team member to enable them to discuss activities, career progression or any problems they are facing.
Brand Promotion & Positioning
- In line with the Catapult’s branding guidelines and protocols, develop marketing material for campaigns, initiatives, facilities and activities in order to construct and execute integrated marketing communications campaigns to deliver against both long term strategic and shorter term tactical objectives.
- Protect the use of the Catapult brand in all forms of communication internally and externally.
- Ensure consistency of the Catapult’s brand is maintained from across the company and assure consistency of image and position to both the internal and external communities.
- Represent the Catapult with external stakeholders and the wider space community, building constructive relationships to benefit the Catapult organisation.
- Ensure regular communications with members of the Executive Management Team, other members of staff and contractors and suppliers.
- Provide reports, plans, budgets and other material as required for the Executive Management Team and other stakeholders.
Media & PR
- Responsible for the generation of press releases, blogs and news articles to promote achievements, events, programmes, current affairs, and the Catapults response to other space related activities.
- Develop relationships with key media contacts.
- Work closely with PR agency to optimize and maximize visibility to stakeholders, partners and customers.
- Identify relevant spokes personnel for media activities, ensuring that no opportunity to promote the Catapult is missed.
- Provide information for appropriate space related newsletters to help promote Catapult activities through other organisations, eg. ESA, UK Space Agency, Harwell Campus, etc.
- Build external relationships with other space related bodies, eg , UK Space Agency, ESA, Space Growth Partnership, UKspace, Satellite Finance Network, etc, developing joint activities/events/communications to benefit the visibility and credibility of the Catapult.
- Working with the Programme and Thread Leads, develop a Thought Leadership activity on a rolling six-month basis.
- When appropriate, identify relevant industry experts and Catapult experts to develop Thought Leadership papers.
- Identify relevant medium to promote Thought Leadership activities.
Website & Digital Communications
- Responsible for the design, development and ongoing activities for the Satellite Applications Catapult website, including content; identify imagery, documentation, information and on-going support.
- Responsible for the design and development of other Catapult related sites, such as Satellites for Everyone, Space Business Portal and other project related sites. We currently manage 10 websites.
- Responsible for all online communications and social media activities, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, making sure the right messages reach the target group of
- Working with the teams across the business, support all external engagement activities, eg. roundtables, workshops, spark innovation workshops etc.
- Identify and organise involvement in appropriate external events eg, sponsorship, speaking opportunities, exhibiting and/or attendance.
- Develop and design exhibition stands to suit event with targeted messages to suit event audience.
- Support, drive and/or sponsor customer/supplier events where appropriate.
We are looking for an experienced and creative Head of Marketing & Communications to have full responsibility for the strategy, enabling continued growth and impact.
- Demonstrable skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing communications and public relations activities.
- Demonstrable experience in implementing successful, integrated, strategic communications and marketing campaigns across both traditional and digital channels
- Ability to understand complex information and translate it into market leading communications strategies
- Significant experience of working at a senior level within marketing and communications
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organisational and personal sales skills.
- Very strong ability to write and edit engaging content embodying the key messages
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Computer literacy in word processing, data base management and page layout.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to influence key decision makers and to challenge when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and use own initiative.
- Ability to build relationships, coach and influence at all levels.
- Ability to exercise effective judgement, discretion, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
- Demonstrate a commercial approach.
- Ability to think “outside the box” to create pragmatic solutions.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.