(1 year maternity cover)
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Financial Controller
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: 1 year fixed term contract
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
The Management Accountant will report to the Financial Controller and support the Accounts Assistant.
Main Responsibilities and Activities
- Preparation of the monthly management accounts and reporting pack
- Supervision and responsibility for all month end tasks
- Assisting non-financial managers in monitoring budgets including monthly reporting
- Managing payment runs with Accounts Assistant
- Credit control with Accounts Assistant
- Ensuring a system of internal controls is the place to minimise risk of fraud or error in the financial information produced by the department
- Ensuring sufficient segregation of duties and authorisations are in place
- Ensuring compliance with financial delegations
- Monthly balance sheet reconciliations and P&L analyses
- Monitoring of costs and suggesting opportunities to reduce
- Assisting with preparation for and dealing with the annual audit
- Assisting with preparation of annual budgets
- Maintaining fixed assets registers and calculation of depreciation
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- Monthly financial KPI’s
- Actively foster the reputation of the department as reliable, flexible, on time and willing to rise to challenges
- Producing helpful and meaningful information to the wider business
- Overseeing sales invoicing
- Cash flow monitoring
- VAT Returns
- VAT compliance with contracts.
- ONS Returns
- Liaison with Project management Team – providing costs and assisting production of monthly project reports
- Monthly grant submissions
- Payroll liaison with outsourcer including monthly checking and submission
- Payroll year end reporting
- Supporting HR with pension administration
- Regular meetings with Accounts Assistant top provide assistance and support where appropriate
- Being responsive to dynamic reporting needs of the business
- Any other duties dependent on the needs of the business which may occasionally require the attendance of events off site
Required Skills and Experience
- SAP Business ByDesign or SAP experience.
- Methodical and thorough approach
- At least three years’ experience with preparation of management accounts
- Can do and helpful attitude
- Good knowledge of excel including formulas, filtering, pivot tables and graphs
- Good knowledge of powerpoint
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and use own initiative
- Ability to build relationships, coach and influence
- Ability to exercise effective judgment, discretion, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations
- Demonstrate a commercial approach
- Ability to think “outside the box” to create pragmatic solutions
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.