OceanMind Business Development Manager
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Head of Ocean Sustainability
Responsible for: Growing revenues through engagement with the seafood sector and fisheries enforcement authorities
Working Hours: Full time
Contract: 6 Months plus potential extension
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays (pro-rated)
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Applications Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected
About the Satellite Applications Catapult
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten “Catapults” launched by Innovate UK. The aim for each of them is to become a world-leading innovation centre in its own specialist area.
Satellite Applications Catapult Mission
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
Satellite Applications Catapult Vision
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
Satellite Applications Catapult Culture
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun.
OceanMind has been established as a business unit of the Satellite Applications Catapult to provide solutions to illegal fishing for governments and seafood supply chains on a not-for-profit basis. Our mission is to be the trusted, internationally recognised expert in fisheries analysis, which we will achieve by providing actionable insights into fisheries compliance, fairly and equally to all interested parties, resulting in greater compliance and therefore greater sustainability of fishing globally.
Our solutions are delivered by a team of highly skilled expert fisheries analysts who use advanced technology – based on large-scale analytics, machine learning and visualisation from 3D gaming – to analyse data from a wide variety of sources, including satellite imagery, regulatory information and vessel registries. This system was first deployed in early 2015 and has since been validated in a range of contexts. We started offering operational services commercially in January 2016, and we have generated over £1 million of bookings in our first year.
We provide two distinct solutions: analytical support to governments and other authorities that are responsible for enforcing fisheries laws and regulations; and verification of compliance for members of seafood supply chains.
The Business Development Manager’s role is to grow revenues through sales of solutions based on OceanMind’s capabilities. This will include closing sales to new customers, deeper penetration of existing customer accounts, and lead generation through marketing activities. The Business Development Manager will:
- Develop and maintain a sales strategy to support business plan revenue targets, and a sales process to deliver on the sales strategy in a cost-effective and efficient manner, including identifying relevant tools and services to support this.
- Create leads and capture sales opportunities by working closely with Marketing to raise awareness of OceanMind and its solutions, and measure the effectiveness (in terms of reach and conversion), of these activities.
- Grow revenues year on year by maintaining strong relationships with existing customers, ensuring that they receive excellent customer service, maximise retention, and leveraging your unique knowledge of their needs
- Travel to meet with potential and current customers on a regular basis in all parts of the world
- Be able to employ detailed understanding of the supply chain in order to convince a prospect of the value of OceanMind’s solutions, and how they will meet the identified needs.
- Work closely with Marketing to raise awareness of OceanMind and its solutions, and create leads and sales opportunities, and measure the effectiveness (in terms of reach and conversion) of these activities.
- Work closely with prospects to build strong, long lasting relationships by partnering with them, understanding their needs, and creating targeted solutions based on the OceanMind capabilities.
- Identify changes in market dynamics and adjust sales strategy accordingly
- Understand the competitive landscape as perceived by customers and prospects, and work with Marketing and the business head to ensure that OceanMind’s products and services remain relevant and differentiated.
- Attend conferences and workshops, deliver presentations, and represent OceanMind in order to generate interest and leads.
- Support Marketing in the creation of sales collateral and other documentation supporting the sales process.
- Work with the business head and finance to refine pricing policy.
- Business development experience of bespoke solutions – the ability to deliver appropriate solutions to customer needs.
- Previous experience of business development with evidence of enhanced performance through growth and profitability.
- Strong commercial acumen – experience in preparing business plans, forecasts and executing strategy.
- High impact, a fluent presenter with an engaging and compelling style.
- A fascination with data and how it can be used to inform decision making.
- Self-motivated with a high energy level.
- Committed, hardworking, passionate and a creative thinker.
- An acknowledged influencer, with strong sales and negotiating skills.
- High level oral and written communication skills, including a proven ability for public speaking.
- Ability to influence key decision makers and to challenge when necessary.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and use own initiative.
- Demonstrate a commercial approach.
- Be excited at the prospect of making positive change in the world!
- Have at least 3 years’ experience in the seafood industry, and an extensive range of contacts demonstrating the ability to network effectively.
- Know the seafood supply chain intimately, understanding the key regulatory and economic drivers in seafood movements, understanding costs and margins at different levels in the supply chain, seafood buying pathways, seafood buying policies, and overall trends across the supply chain.
- Understand corporate social responsibility (CSR) as it applies to seafood, the drivers and expected outcomes, and be able to engage with CSR professionals at all levels.
- Have a good understanding of technology and how it can be applied to the seafood supply chain, including an understanding of fishing regulations and controls, traceability solutions, certification standards such as that of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), and the reasons why these solutions are employed.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.