Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
Required Skills and Experience
• An expert in Linux with strong Scripting skills in JAVA, Python, Bash, Shell and PERL
• Administration and configuration of Linux Servers, within complex web App/Middleware integration stacks
• Demonstrable experience in application programming, APIs and API design
• Experience with open source solutions including Jenkins, JIRA, Atlassian Stash, Confluence, Ansible and GIT
• Experience of testing, debugging and troubleshooting of platform level problems in complex multi-server environments
• Experience of working with large data sets (Petabytes)
• Supporting development teams with configuring applications for deployment
• Installation and management of open source monitoring tools
• Support on going patch management of Linux infrastructures
• Experience managing and deploying on Cloud based platforms
• Virtualisation technologies including VMware vSphere
• Any knowledge of ESA EO missions and/or satellite data would be highly beneficial
• Experience of satellite data processing tools
• Working knowledge of enterprise scale Data Centre infrastructure
• Experience of Agile project management
• Experience of system data collection and review for capacity planning purposes
• Experience with Release and Configuration Management processes in line with ITIL methodologies
• Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced Linux/Devops engineer to become part of an innovative infrastructure team. You will be working on multiple projects that are helping to solve real world problems through the use of satellite derived data sets and cutting edge technologies.
Working in collaboration with commercial data suppliers, to disseminate multi Petabyte data sets, alongside discovery and processing services within a Cloud computing infrastructure that has been purpose built for the Space community.
You will be expected to hit the ground running, and be involved with system and application management from day one. You will have a passion for innovative technologies and help drive the use of such technologies throughout the business.
In addition, you will be self-motivated yet enjoy working as part of a team.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.