Senior Software Engineer (Visualisation & Graphics)
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Responsible to: Head of Visualisation & Applications
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results.
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
The Satellite Applications Catapult is looking for Senior Software Engineer who will report to the Head of Visualisation and Software Engineering. They will form part of a small highly-skilled team responsible for creating software applications that are designed around the end-user to create impactful visual experiences.
This is an office-based role in the Satellite Applications Catapult office in Harwell.
What we are looking for:
- A dynamic and enthusiastic senior software engineer who enjoys building in the latest technologies, exploiting the best of modern visualisation tools and approaches to create rich and exciting user experiences. You must be driven by the desire to engineer the “art-of-the-possible” into robust and highly professional applications.
- A great communicator with an agile approach to the way you work. Experienced in working with interactive designers and rapid prototyping software engineers to turn their v ions into deliverable high-quality applications.
- An effective team player with a pro-active “can-do” attitude, self-motivator and willingness to lead others when needed.
- Work within our agile methodology (loosely based on SCRUM) to design, build, unit test and document quality code on time and to specification
- Function as part of a team, be adaptable and provide support to others when required
- Fulfil role of technical lead on projects when required
- Bring new ideas to the team for open discussion and adoption if appropriate to achieving our common goal
- Support and work closely with organisational partners, customers, interns and our network of SMEs, where necessary, to share knowledge and know-how
- Coach and mentor less experienced team members
Essential Criteria for the Role
- Highly skilled in combining innovative thinking with proven approaches and methodologies in creating quality driven code.
- Experienced in creating interactive 3D environments. We believe in using the best language and development frameworks for the problem we are trying to solve. Therefore, an ability and willingness to pick up new development languages is essential. However, as a minimum we would expect candidates for the role to have a deep understanding and experience of .Net (preferably C#) and at least one other language (such as C++, Java, etc).
- An in-depth knowledge of Unity 3D would be ideal. However, if you have the ability and desire to learn quickly then we can support you.
- Awareness of the latest and future technologies in software visualisation such as virtual, augmented and mixed reality. Willingness to explore, learn and develop in the future when the needs arises.
- Finally, it should go without saying that you will be very experienced with agile software development methodologies and have a good understanding of the Software Delivery Lifecycle, whilst always striving to create efficient, quality controlled and maintainable code.
Experience with any of the following would be a distinct advantage:
- GPU development
- Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality
- Web development
- Experience in the space, remote sensing, GIS and/or gaming sectors
- Stakeholder requirements analysis
- Test driven development and QA automation
- Language skills beyond English (ideally Spanish) and willingness to travel internationally on occasion would be very advantageous.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.