Software Business Analyst/Quality Assurance Lead
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Permanent, 3 month probation and 1 month notice
Holiday: 28 days per annum, plus statutory holidays.
Equal Opportunities: The Satellite Application Catapult strives to be an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an independent technology and innovation company whose purpose is to promote, develop and facilitate the commercialisation and advancement of the satellite applications industry. The company is a not for profit Research Organisation, with a commercial trading subsidiary. The organisation embraces an open and innovative culture, encouraging an ethos of knowledge exchange and sector engagement, and has quickly become a world class centre of facilities and expertise.
We’re one of ten Catapults established and overseen by Innovate UK. They are places where the best of the UK’s innovative businesses and researchers work together to bring new products and services more quickly to commercialisation. Focusing on areas with great market potential, Catapults will open up global opportunities for the UK and generate economic growth for the future.
To innovate for a better world, empowered by satellites
To be a world-leading technology and innovation company, helping businesses of all sizes to realise the potential from space. By embracing a pioneering, agile, collaborative and entrepreneurial spirit, we create valued partnerships to deliver game-changing results
The Catapult fosters an open and collaborative culture that stimulates and develops staff and encourages collaboration and innovation. Our employee value proposition is strong. We have worked hard to create an environment which is dynamic, exciting, challenging, rewarding, flexible and, most importantly, fun. More about the Catapult Culture
A software business analyst or quality assurance specialist who enjoys working with end users (technical and non-technical) to capture their requirements and manage them throughout the software delivery life-cycle through to acceptance testing (UAT), adherence to acceptance criteria and final sign-off.
- Qualify and validate the end user requirements at inception.
- Stewardship of requirements through the engineering process, milestones and control gates into user acceptance (UAT) and final sign-off.
- Create, own and maintain QA plans and UAT scripts.
- Coordinate (and hands-on) execution of the QA plan with end users, report and achieve sign-off with appropriate stakeholders.
Strategic goals and general responsibilities
- Bridge the gap between requirements definition, testing, delivery and acceptance by building and maintaining a close and respected working relationship with both end users (internal and external) and the engineering teams.
- Contribute to defining the scope, specification, design, and acceptance criteria for platform components and application projects.
- Continually evolve and bring new ideas to the requirements elicitation process by exploring the best techniques for capturing end user and other stakeholder needs.
- Take ownership and then grow and lead our quality assurance processes.
- Collaborate with the team already responsible for unit level testing and continuous integration. Help to evolve their existing processes in alignment with the QA processes.
- Embrace and promote the use of Behavioural Driven Development and specifying requirements with clear and unambiguous examples.
Required Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of Modern Digital Communications principles (e.g. MIMO, OFDM).
- Strong analytical and algorithmic mindset
- Programming Languages (e.g. C/C++/C#)
- Linux Operating System
- Simulation Tools (e.g. Matlab)
- Programming on Linux servers and embedded platforms
- Design and Programming on distributed systems/networks
- Hands-on experience with GNU Radio Software Development Toolkit
- A dynamic software professional who enjoys getting involved with stakeholder requirements throughout their full life-cycle from inception through to final testing and sign-off.
- Experienced in designing test plans, defining acceptance criteria, writing and executing end user test scripts, negotiating acceptance and final sign-off with end users (internal or external)
- Very comfortable engaging in a wide range of requirement elicitation techniques such as running user workshops, brainstorming sessions, interviews, observation & questionnaires.
- Experience in the space, remote sensing, GIS or gaming sectors would be advantageous.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies and good understanding of the Software Delivery Life Cycle.
- Exposure to a variety of programming languages, operating systems, databases, system architectures, web services, etc.
- Experience with any BDD frameworks such as Behave would be an advantage.
- An enthusiastic and pro-active “can-do” attitude, self-motivator and willingness to lead others when needed.
- Effective team player with excellent interpersonal, communications, and presentation skills.
- Language skills beyond English (ideally Spanish) and willingness to travel internationally on occasion would be very advantageous.
If you are up for the challenge and thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.