“Airbus enjoys a continuing close relationship with Catapult with the joint objective to support the UK space sector to achieve its ambitious growth target.”
- Initiated opportunities – for Airbus to develop industrial and commercial applications (TRL 2-5) for cutting-edge research conducted by the University of Oxford.
- Created opportunities – for Airbus to bring new products and technologies developed by innovative SMEs into their supply chain. Oxford Space Systems deployable structures is one such example. This enables its product portfolio’s competitive positions with a lesser risk and investment exposure.
How has the Catapult helped?
- Market analysis & business case development: As part of the joint ‘Big Ideas’ project, Catapult is contributing its knowledge and connections into end-user markets to investigate opportunities and business models for high capacity Earth observation services.
- Connected to innovators: Catapult has linked Airbus to world leading Computer Vision groups at a renowned University to help apply cutting-edge research to satellite imagery. Technology development: Catapult and Airbus have collaborated with NPL and ETL systems on a novel concept for ultra-high capacity satellite constellations in geosynchronous orbits, to support future fixed and mobile satellite communications services. The initial feasibility study has concluded that the system would be very flexible and would be scalable, offering significant advantages in terms of frequency reuse.”
- Demonstrators and visualisation: Catapult has leveraged its experience with visualisation and big data platforms to build a flight-tracking demonstrator to support Airbus’ business development activities.
“Airbus enjoys a continuing close relationship with Catapult with the joint objective to support the UK space sector to achieve its ambitious growth target. Our joint activities are many and varied, with Catapult able to provide numerous services: workshop facilitation, access to their facilities, consultancy support and the ability to leverage its unique characteristic of neutrality and impartiality to connect with user communities and provide an advice and brokerage service.”
– Richard Peckham Business Development Director (Space), Airbus Defence and Space, UK