New Business Support service launched in Leicester supporting the commercialisation of concepts in Earth Observation Technology
- Space Commercialisation Engine launched at Space Park Leicester, established by the Satellite Applications Catapult
- Designed to deliver agile and cost-effective business support to UK wide entrepreneurs / companies looking to test the commercial viability of their Earth Observation ideas
- Applicants to the programme can be from any sector (including non-space) interested in introducing innovative Earth Observation data-based services to their current customer base.
- Staffed by leaders in Earth Observation technology, design, academia and business
- Further cements the Catapult’s commitment to driving innovation and growth across the UK
- Open for applications immediately through its website sa.catapult.org.uk/space-commercialisation-engine.
The Satellite Applications Catapult is pleased to announce the opening of a unique business support programme for the commercialisation of UK Earth Observation (EO) data and ideas. The objective of the Space Commercialisation Engine project is to deliver a fail-fast, agile and cost-effective prototype/proof of concept for entrepreneurs or companies to test quickly the commercial viability of their idea. With access to a dedicated team in EO technology, academia and business, the service will take each bespoke concept through a robust product development programme to accelerate its progress towards commercialisation.
This is a national programme of support that accesses the considerable expertise within the Satellite Applications Catapult and its academic partners and covers business strategy, design and technology development, and commercialisation plans.
The Space Commercialisation Engine launch includes a competition closing on Friday 17 September 2021 for entrepreneurs and companies wishing to express an interest in utilising Earth observation technology. Application forms can be found on the website.
Stuart Martin, CEO, Satellite Applications Catapult said: “We are truly delighted by the announcement today of the opening of the Space Commercialisation Engine at our offices at Space Park Leicester. For the Catapult, it is the realisation of a unique business service offering to assist in the fast-tracking of UK ideas in satellite technology towards commercialisation. The Space Commercialisation Engine is also aligned to Leicester’s regional ambition to become a UK space hub and we are thrilled to be playing our part in making this a reality. The Space Commercialisation Engine is also an example of how the UK space industry is metamorphosing from an institutional domain into a commercial sector in which all UK business given the opportunity can flourish.”
Dan Wicks, Head of Geospatial Innovation, Satellite Applications Catapult said: “We are immensely proud to have delivered this service, a first for the UK. It is ultimately designed to increase UK business opportunities, by providing services that test the commercial validity of EO concepts submitted by entrepreneurs and SME’s, all the way through to large corporates. This unique resource also further increases UK business access to the space sector and establishes a landing point for inward investment for local and international businesses in a thriving EO community.”